Every weekend, I like to share a curated list of retro, geek, & nostalgia-themed articles, stories, and posts that I’ve come across in the last week. It gives you a chance to escape the daily grind, and just sit back and pass the time reading about the good old days. So with that in mind, here are some things I wanted to share with you.
In the News
- Sinead O’Connor has passed away. She was 56. The Dublin singer is probably most infamously remembered for ripping up a picture of the Pope during a live performance on Saturday Night Live, but she also produced the number one world single in 1990 Nothing Compares 2 U.
- RetroCon has gotten a lot more exciting for me with the news of a Dukes of Hazzard reunion taking place there this year. John Schneider, Tim Wopat, and Catherin Bach are confirmed for appearing at the two-day convention which emanates from the Greater Oaks Convention Center in Philadelphia PA September 9th and 10th. For the lowdown on all of the guests, events, and other details check out Retrocons.
- The Karate Kid movie reboot has been delayed. This pushes it from its planned release on the 40th anniversary of the original film.
- Tubi has announced its full August release schedule, and there are several old classics coming that are worth revisiting. My personal recommendations to revisit include Dante’s Peak, The Great Escape, the Jaws franchise of movies, Stand by Me, and Fletch. They have also picked up the rights to the modern entry to the Fletch franchise with Fletch Lives. That one should be worth checking out as well. TubiTV is a free streaming service that everyone can enjoy.
- The “Full House Rewind” podcast with Dave Coulier has gone on hiatus until the SAG-AFTRA strike is over.
- Howard the Duck is getting a 50th anniversary special from Marvel Comics. While the movie was panned, the comic character is quite fun, and this will probably be a good read.
- The Original Marvel Cinematic Universe (The Retro Network)
- The Sweet History Behind Cracker Jack (Click Americana)
- 25 Things That Make ’90s Kids Think of Summer (Yester Year Retro)
- The Original Plot for Back to the Future II (Far Out Magazine)
- Whatever Happened to Vibrating Beds? (Mental Floss)
- Just How Old is Ronald McDonald? (Mashed)
- Tito Santana and Rick Martel: The Rise and Demise of Strike Force (Pro Wrestling Stories)
- 5 Awesome Things on eBay This Week (Plaid Stallions)
Other Fun Stuff
- Our friend over at Cerealously has reviewed the latest editions to the monster cereals lineup, Carmella Creeper and Monster Mash Remix. Check out his thoughts.
- The Retroist knocks it out of the park once again on his podcast series, this time looking at The Legend of Zelda. Give it a listen.
- One of my favorite reads, The Retro Dad, has been posting several things about his nostalgia for McDonald’s. I’ve really been enjoying them all because I am also very fond of McDonald’s from back in the day. Check out some of the posts if you feel the same way: ’70s and ’80s Memories of Breakfast at McDonalds ; McDonalds Ruined My Lifelong Dream for Middle Age ; The 25th Anniversary of the Big Mac.