Welcome back to The Weekend Edition! It’s been a long week for me, but one of my favorite things to do is put this together every Sunday morning while having my coffee. I bookmark fun things I find throughout the week and then unload them all on you in hopes that it all helps bring you some relaxation and enjoyment. Let’s get to it!
- Since this is going up on 7/11, here are 11 facts about one of your favorite convenience stores…7/11!
- And while we’re on the topic of facts, in case you missed it over on The Retro Network last week, here are 5 Fun Facts About the Movie Independence Day. I put that together myself, btw.
- The gang over at CBR take a fun look at 5 Power Rangers Monsters Godzilla Should Fight.
- The Retro Dad recently decided to compare which is the best old school frozen pizza when he pitted Red Baron against Tombstone, and re-tried them both. His reviews actually made me crave some frozen pizza so much I went out and picked up one from the winner. You’ll have to check out his post to know which pizza I purchased.
- From the ‘strange but true’, files read about how Danny Trejo Recalls When Charles Manson Asked Him for Protection.
- And another list of facts…this time it’s 12 Futuristic Facts About Escape From New York! Snake Pliskin is so cool.
- Speaking of Escape From New York, here is a fantastically written review of the 1981 film from John Kenneth Muir. I really enjoy his style when it comes to reviewing movies and TV shows, and I think you will as well.
- Jumping ahead 10 years to 1991, check out the latest podcast from Box Office 30 looking back at the movies of July 1991 with an extended review of T2: Judgement Day. When you’re done listening, hop over to Twitter and show @boxoffice30 some love by telling them what you though of the episode.
- You know I love old comic book ads, and it’s always a fun time when my friend Gary over at TRN puts out another edition of his fabulous Check Out Those Ads feature, and this time out he’s looking at the ads from Hawk & Dove #25 from 1991. There are some great ads featured here, with the WCW Wrestling game for Nintendo being my favorite.
- Right behind my love for old comic book ads is my love of old comic book covers. Pop Culture Safari shows off some beautiful ones from fifty years ago this month. That Spider-Man cover featuring the debut of Morbius is a beaut.
- If you’re a wrestling fan, then you probably know the story of the Montreal Screwjob. But Pro Wrestling Stories have outdone themselves with their recent feature…Gotch vs. Hackenschmidt – The Original Wrestling Screwjob.
- One of my favorite reads everyweek is the Plaid Stallion’s “5 Awesome Things on eBay This Week” post, and this week’s edition was a great one. I really dig that old Planet of the Apes swimming pool.
- The great Richard Donner passed away recently, so I thought it was a good time to mention his favorite film of mine, The Goonies! Go check out the 5 Fun Facts About the Goonies feature I done a while back for The Retro Network.
And finally, since I’ve professed my love for Tubi many times, let me give you my “Tubi Pick’s of the Week“…
- County Line … a movie starring Tom Wopat as a sheriff in one county that avenges the murder of his best friend who is the sherriff of the neighboring county. It’s a newer movie, but Tom Wopat is still one of my favorite actors from way back in his Dukes of Hazzard days. Click here to watch for free.
- Mister T Cartoon … if you don’t remember this from back in the mid-’80s, youre in for a treat! It’s a great way to be taken back to your childhood on a Saturday morning. Click here to go the episodes list.
- Wargames … the classic ’80s movie that probably started my fascination with computers and the like. Click here to watch for free.
Video of the Week
To celebrate 7/11 on its adopted birthday of 7/11 here is their first commercial to appear on television!