Here’s this week’s collection of nostalgia-themed articles and stories from around the web for you to relax with this weekend. Whatever you’re doing for the holiday, I hope you enjoy it and stay safe. And hopefully, you have time to check out some of these fun articles!
This Weekend’s Best Reads
- These days, a lot of folks enjoy a Memorial Day filled with grilling burgers and welcoming summer. And most take time to observe the ultimate sacrifice made by our servicemen and women. Take a minute and learn the origins of Memorial Day…back when it was originally known as Decoration Day.
- In kind of keeping with the military theme, take this quiz and see if you can remember the military ranks of some classic TV characters.
- Have you ever been watching The Price is Right, saw someone win a brand new car, and get jealous of how lucky they are? Well, it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. Learn what happens when someone wins that new car.
- We all loved Nickelodeon when we were kids, and one of the best shows on there was Mr. Wizard’s World. Here are some fond memories of why we loved it so much!
- If you’re a little too young to fully remember the uproar when New Coke was launched in 1985, or if you never really knew the story in the first place, then relive all the hysteria and learn the conspiracy theory surrounding it.
- Did you know we’re getting a new Oregon Trail game? I bet that’s a link you’ll click on!
- Looking for some new/old kicks to sport around town in? Well, check out these vintage 1980’s Nike shoes…from regular retro sneakers to classic Air Jordans.
- You know I love to talk about food and old fast-food restaurants. I just learned that Arthur Treacher’s Fish & Chips is going to be making a comeback. Hopefully, we’ll get one in my area one day.
- I don’t remember it, but PEZ used to sell a candy-shooting gun to kids.
- I used to read the comic strips in my local paper every morning while eating breakfast before school. Now I’m being taken back to my childhood with these reviews of books that collect the strips from B.C. and Wizard of ID.
- If you’re taking a road trip this holiday weekend, make it go back quicker by listening to Jason and myself talk about the movies of 1996 in this episode of the TRN Time Machine podcast.
Highlights From My Blogging Friends
- 5 Awesome Things on eBay This Week (Plaid Stallions)
- Kool-Aid and Mutants! (20 Years Before 2000)
- Star Wars – The Making of the Movie (AEIOU and Sometimes Why)
- The Once and Future College Bowl (It’s About TV)
- The Post About Nothing (Cards Over Coffee)
Retro Streaming Guide for June
This is your guide to the best retro movies and TV shows hitting your favorite streaming services this month!
Coming to Tubi in June (free streaming service)
- Air Force One (1997)
- Passenger 57 (1992)
- Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (1989)
- Full Metal Jacket (1987)
- JFK (1991) *Rambler Recommended*
- Rain Man (1988)
- Striptease (1996) *Rambler Recommended*
- Stargate (1994)
Coming to Netflix in June
- Stand By Me (1986)
- The Big Lebowski (1998) *Rambler Recommended*
- Power Rangers: Dino Fury Season 1
- The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog Season 1
Coming to HBO Max in June
- The Bonfire of the Vanities (1990)
- Curse of the Pink Panther (1983)
- Eight Men Out (1988)
- The Green Mile (1999)
- Jerry Maguire (1996)
- National Lampoons Vacation (1986) *Rambler Recommended*
- Clueless (1995)
- Super Friends Cartoon
Coming to Hulu in June
- Alive (1993) *Rambler Recommended*
- Arachnophobia (1990)
- The Bird Cage (1997)
- The Blair Witch Project (1999)
- Convoy (1978) *Rambler Recommended*
- Face/Off (1997)
- The Hustler (1961) *Rambler Recommended*
- Walking Tall (1973) *Rambler Recommended*
Coming to Peacock in June
- Career Opportunities (1991)
- Conan the Barbarian (1982)
- Ghostbusters (1984)
- Ghostbusters II (1989)
- Jurassic Park (1993)
- Animal House (1978)
- WWE’s 50 Greatest Tag Teams
Coming to The Roku Channel in June (free streaming service)
- Legends of the Fall (1994)
- Saturday Night Fever (1978)
- The Addams Family (1991)
- Urban Legend (1998)
Coming to Amazon Prime in June
- An American Werewolf in London (1981)
- Fight Club (1999) *Rambler Recommended*
The Retro Network, which Jason Gross and I launched two years ago is celebrating its 2 year anniversary this week. I wanted to highlight some of my favorite features that we’ve been lucky enough to have published there from some very talented writers. Please give them a visit and leave a comment with your thoughts if you’re inclined:
- Heisenberg: My ’80s Contraband Life
- Staying Up All Night With Rhonda Shear
- 10 Awesome Comic Book Gimmicks of the ’90s
- Rollerjam: Pro Wrestling on Wheels
- Top 50 Cars and Trucks From ’80s Movies and TV Shows
- A Look Back at 35 Years of Nick at Nite
- Cable Television in the 1980s
- “Challenger go at throttle up” The Space Shuttle Disaster
Well that’s probably all you would have a chance to get through this week. So take a little time and enjoy them, and enjoy your holiday!