From Gameboy games to old game show memories, here’s seven things I wanted to share with you this week.(more…)
Category: Weekend Edition
Welcome to another Weekend Edition here on Retro Ramblings. It’s where I share with you fine folks all of the fun retro and nostalgia-themed news, stories, and posts I’ve found in my travels around the web over the week. Let’s hit it!
- Unfortunately, we start this Weekend Edition off with some very sad news. America’s weatherman, Willard Scott sadly passed away at the age of 87 on Saturday. Scott was a fixture on NBC’s Today show from 1980 to 1996, and thus was a fixture of my mornings before school. While sitting at the breakfast table eating a big bowl of Morning Funnies cereal or a steaming hot bowl of Oatmeal Swrilers, I would watch Willard Scott giving out the weather or handing out birthday wishes to 100-year-olds on a 13-inch black and white television. He was also one of the best parts of the yearly Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, as he played sort of a color commentator for the event each year. He will be missed by fans nationwide.
- Now that we’re into the month of September, the Halloween and Fall junk food game has really started ramping up. I’ve already found several cool things that I’ve highlighted in Junk Food Finds posts here on Retro Ramblings. You can check them out here and here to see what’s already hit store shelves. The one I’m most happy about is the new Monster Mash cereal, which will undoubtably be the biggest hitter of the season.
- Also with the coming of September comes Dinosaur Dracula’s annual “Countdown to Halloween”. For those of you living under a rock, Matt dedicates September and October to the Halloween season on his blog and celebrates it with an awesome assortment of posts, videos, and podcasts that always hit all the right notes and entertains like nothing else on the web. His first entry to the series has already dropped, so head over there and watch his first video of the season, Mad Matt’s Latest Bag of Halloween Junk.
- You know I love reminiscing about old foods that are no longer with us, and most of them you all enjoyed too. But there have been several items through the years that deserved their early demises. Now while I fondly remember several items on this list of Top 10 Bizarre Cancelled Food Products, some got what was coming to them.
- You know how it seems like everytime you go to McDonald’s to get a McFlurry or a shake, the machine is down? FOr me at least, it happens way more than it doesn’t. Well, now those constantly broken machines under scrutiny from the FTC. Let’s hope they get some answers so we can all start getting McFlurrys when we want them.
- Since you’re here reading this, you probably have a love of old toys. If that’s true, then you need to listen to last week’s episode of the TRN Time Machine Podcast with Jason and myself, because we go over more old toys we always wanted but never had. Give it a listen here and hear us talk about old toys like American Gladiator action figures, The Animal!, Battle Ball, Big Trak, and more.
- I’d like to point you in the direction of a great follow on Twitter…@oldschool80s…or Old School TIm as we like to call him. Everyday he’s filling your timeline with great tidbits and anniversaries from the ’80s, and he writes fantasctic articles over at The Retro Network too! So besides giving him a follow on Twitter, also be sure to check out his archives over at TRN. I like to use space in The Weekend Edition to highlight great work by creative people, and Tim is one of the absoulte best.
In the News
- G.I. Joe Role-Playing Game Announced by Renegade (Pop Geeks)
- Ed Asner Dies at 91 (The Vintage News)
- FilmRise Has Marathons of Classic TV Series All Month in September (Cord Cutter’s News)
- Gene Simmons Tests Positive For Covid-19, Postpones KISS Tour Dates (Rolling Stone)
- Cartoon Network Announces ‘Merry Little Batman’ Holiday Special (SuperHeroHype)
- ABBA Will Make a Comeback as Holograms (Pop Geeks)
- Kelsey Grammer Shares New Details About the Frasier Reboot (Do You Remember)
- 5 Awesome Things on eBay This Week (Plaid Stallions)
- 27 Wild Behind-the-Scenes Facts From the Long and Chaotic History of SNL (BuzzFeed Rewind)
- Check Out Those Ads! The Incredible Hulk #385 (The Retro Network)
- How I Ruined My Shot at Getting a TMNT Sewer Lair in 1989 (20 Years Before 2000)
- 10 Fascinating Facts About Bill Murray’s Decades-Spanning Career (The Vintage News)
- The Pride of the Carolinas, Don Kernodle: The Last of the Territorial Stars (Mid-Atlantic Gateway)
- Ghostbusters: Afterlife Cereal Review (Retroist)
- Rewarding Moments in Gaming (Retro-Daze)
- Here Are the Most Searched ’90s Movies in Every State (Mental Floss)
- The Best ’80s Cars of All TIme (’80s Toy Store)
- See Cool Comic Book Covers From September 1971 (Pop Culture Safari)
- Our Top Ten Hard Rock Bands of the 1970’s (Do You Remember)
- Super ’70s Ads: Kool-Aid Summer 1974 (Bionic Disco)
- Miami Vice, Season 1 1985 Primer (Cult TV Lounge)
- Seven Things to Know About Roger Corman (Classic Film & TV Cafe)
- 10 Awesome Comic Book Gimmicks of the ’90s (The Retro Network)
- WWF vs. USWA – The Wrestling War You Likely Never Heard Of (Pro Wrestling Stories)
Video of the Week
I had something else in mind for the Video of the Week, but in light of Willard Scott’s passing, I thought it would be appropriate to highlight his career a little. So this week’s video was taken from an episode of The Today Show from several years ago as a special tribute was paid to him and highlight clips were included. So enjoy this look back at the remarkable career of a remarkable man, Willard Scott.
It’s time once again to dive into the retro and nostalgia-themed news, articles, and blog posts I’ve come across over the past week while surfing the interwebs. Pour yourself a cup of coffee (or tea) and get ready for some fun.
In the News
- Hasbro Pulse Con Announced for Virtual Return Oct. 22-23rd! (The Retro Network)
- Hasbro Reveals Transformers Victory Saber HasLab Project (The Toy Book)
- Labyrinth to Receive 35th Anniversary Screening (Pop Geeks)
- Cobra Kai is Renewed For Fifth Season (Pop Geeks)
Retro & Nostalgia Reads
- The 1990 Horror Hall of Fame Awards (Dinosaur Dracula)
- Five of the Most Unforgettable Sports Atheletes of the ’80s (Rediscover the ’80s)
- Dancing at the End of Summer Sock Hop (The Retro Network)
- Cracking Open Some 1991 FLEER! (20 Years Before 2000)
- Adult Swim: 20 Years of an American Institution (Retro-Daze)
- Blackstar (1981): Series Primer (John Kenneth Muir)
- 9 Live-Action ’80s Movies That Got Cartoon TV Adaptions (MeTV)
- Top Nostalgic Movies To Pass Down to Your Kiddos on the Next Family Night (Do You Remember)
- Too Hot for MTV: When Cher’s Backside Caused a Major Backlash in 1989 (Mental Floss)
- 4 Classic Video Games to Play When You’re Bored (Retromash)
- DC Characters The Joker Has Never Beaten in a Fight (CBR)
- The Monkees Then and Now (Do You Remember)
- McDonald’s Camp Snoopy Glasses From 1983 (Me and You and a Blog Named Boo)
- 25 Years Ago: When Macarena Ruled the World (Mental Floss)
- 5 Awesome Things on eBay This Week – Aug. 27 (Plaid Stallions)
- West Week Ever: Pop Culture in Review Aug. 27 (William Bruce West)
I want to take a little space to tell you about The Act of Discovery newsletter brought to you by the fine folks of The Retroist. If you’re reading this Weekend Edition, then you obviously like reading about interesting things with a retro and nostalgic slant, so I know you’d like the newsletter as well. I’ve been a subscriber for a little while now, and it has quickly become one of my five favorites things on the internet every week. You can head over to The Retroist and sign up to receive it each week in your email. It’s always been a great read, and best of all, it’s free! Check it out.
And before I get out of here, I want to give you a heads up about some stuff coming to Retro Ramblings this week. On Monday, stop by and check out the cool junk food we’ve already found for the 2022 Halloween and fall seasons. And on Wednesday the Retro Streaming Guide for September will be dropping highlighting all of the retro shows and movies coming to your favorite streaming platforms. And finally, on Friday be sure to check out the Friday Five post where I’m looking at some old McDonald’s tray lines. They’re awesome, and so are you. Thanks for reading this week, and enjoy the video of the week below before you head out!
Video of the Week
With the college football season starting, and some recent news about some major conference realignments, I thought it would be a good time to present to you the history of re-alignments in the sport. This is a really fascinating look at one of the more important aspects of the world of college football, and very appropriate for this point in time.
It’s that time once again for me to share with you all of the fun retro-themed news, stories, and posts I’ve come across in my travels around the web over the last week!
In the News
- Netflix Releases He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Trailer
- Punky Brewster Sequel Series Cancelled by Peacock After One Season
- A New Smurfs Series is Coming to Nickelodeon in September
- Toys ‘R’ Us is Returning Once More
- Pluto TV is Adding Six New Channels to it’s Free Streaming Lineup
- 10 Original Versions of Popular Cover Songs (Listverse)
- Tribute to Lionel Kiddie City (Horror Movie BBQ)
- 5 of the Best High School Movies From the ’80s (Rediscover the ’80s)
- No Love for G.I. Joe’s Battle Force 2000? (The Retro Network)
- Classic Playmates Ninja Turtles! (20 Years Before 2000)
- A Brief History of JNCO Jeans (Mental Floss)
- 10 Terrible Father Figures in Comics (CBR)
- A History of the Speak and Spell (Retroist)
- Remember These Retro Air-Pop Popcorn Makers? (Click Americana)
- The Best Looney Tunes Cartoon Episodes of All Time (80s Toy Store)
- 4 Rebels Who Revolutionized Professional Wrestling (Pro Wrestling Stories)
- 5 Awesome Things on eBay This Week (Plaid Stallions)
If you enjoy The Weekend Edition here on Retro Ramblings, I highly suggest you check out WestWeekEver.com and read the weekly Pop Culture in Review post. It’s got even more pop culture news and William Bruce West’s writing always brings a smile to my face.
I also wanted to take just a little space to bring to your attention a podcast that just dropped from The Retro Network and Wizards: The Podcast Guide to Comics. This marks the 30th anniversary of Wizard magazine, so the Wizards podcast crew got together lots of the old Wizard staff for a round table discussion that was FANTASTIC for those of us who used to love that magazine or just ’90s comics in general. Be sure to go check it out and give it a listen if you were into that world back in the day!
Video of the Week
For this week’s video, I’m sharing one of those old Saturday morning cartoon previews shows that would usually air in primetime on Friday the night before the new season of cartoons started. I’m doing this to get everyone pumped up a little bit because in this week’s Friday Five post here on Retro Ramblings I’ll be highlighting five of my favorite ’80s cartoons. Look for that at the end of the week, but for now, enjoy this preview show for NBC’s Saturday morning lineup for 1987 starring ALF!