Every weekend, I like to share a curated list of retro & nostalgia-themed articles, stories, and posts that I’ve come across in the last week. It gives you a chance to grab a hot cup of coffee, tea, or cocoa, sit back and pass the time reading about the good old days. So with that in mind, here are some things I wanted to share with you this week.
I’m going to start this Weekend Edition off by highlighting my latest entry into The Junk Food Files over at The Retro Network. In The Short Life of New Coke, I briefly run down the story of the launch and quick demise of New Coke in the ’80s. Being as how you’re here at Retro Ramblings, I know it’s something you’d be interested in so go check it out.
And since we’re in the middle of Wrestlemania weekend, it would be rude of me to not highlight an older post of mine at TRN where I detail my Favorite Wrestlemania Memories. And while I’m on the subject, you can also check out my post, Saturday Night Suspense: The Night Hulk Hogan Fought Paul Orndorff in a Cage! at TRN as well. And further down in this column, you’ll find plenty more old Wrestling nostalgia to celebrate the Wrestlemania season.
Retro & Nostalgia Stuff
- Unforgettable Events That Happened in the ’80s (Rediscover the ’80s)
- The Wildest Moments in Award Show History (CBR)
- Mad Magazine’s Most Significant Cultural Moments (Den of Geek)
- ‘The Empire Strikes Back’ Originally Had a Much Darker Ending (Mental Floss)
- 10 Must-See Horror Movies From the ’70s (Screen Rant)
- 10 Examples of Vintage Computing Still in Wide Use Today (Listverse)
- How PEZ Changed Collectibles, 12 Little Pieces of Candy at a Time (Den of Geek)
- 5 Awesome Things on eBay This Week (Plaid Stallions)
- 25 Wild Facts About Wrestlemania I (Mental Floss)
- Wrestlemania’s Most Unusual Matches (The Retro Network)
- 7 Times Heavy Metal and Wrestling Rocked Together (Pro Wrestling Stories)
- The Greatest Vehicles in Wrestling History (The Retro Network)
- 5 Things Fans Miss Most About WCW (Sportster)
- Mythological Creatures in Pro Wrestling (Dinosaur Dracula)
- Wrestling’s Black Saturday (The Retro Network)
- Wrestling at the Arcade: 1991’s WWF Wrestlefest (The Retro Network)
- Retro Ads From a 1987 Wrestling Magazine (The Retro Network)
- WWF and MTV: The Brawl to End it All (The Retro Network)
- Five Wrestlers From the ’90s You’ve Probably Forgotten (The Retro Network)
To close this Weekend Edition out, I leave you with highlights of the greatest Wrestlemania match of all-time featuring Randy “Macho Man” Savage vs. Rick “The Dragon” Steamboat from Wrestlemania 3 in 1987.